Castellated House

This Elegant Period Property built around 1800 features Finely Carved Sandstone Castellations (means "having battlements"), but though it has several connections to war I doubt it has ever repelled boarders!

FLUDHA'S HISTORY

Fludha was originally built around 1800.   This fine stone "Mansion House" with its Castleations and wonderful view has a rich history dating right back to the 1600's!
The Stewartry Museum in Kirkcudbright holds on record a document entitled "The House That Forgot Its Name" To download this document in PDF format please click here it tells the story of how Fludha came into being and how it got its strange name.



Local Historian Mr Bruce Smith has spent a lot of time and effort researching Fludha's ancient and more modern history. His detailed document can be downloaded here.


Flowerdew or Fludha?

This is not intended to be a precise history, many books with various and differing accounts of events have been written on the subject of the early American Colonists.  I have just tried to piece together snippets in order to chart the Origin of  "Fludha". 

August 1609

Temperance Flowerdew

Temperance Flowerdew as Portrayed by Clare Cox in


Temperance Flowerdew of Hethersett, Norfolk, England had to survive a hurricane at sea and eat rats for dinner, before arriving in Jamestown Virginia onboard the "Falcon" in August 1609 to become one of the very first womem to colonise America, she arrived just in time for the winter famine that followed.  She lived through that harrowing winter, called the “Starving Time,” when over 80 percent of Jamestown’s residents died of sickness, disease, or starvation.

In 1613, Temperance married Captain George Yeardley. He became one of the wealthiest men in Virginia. The couple had three children: Elizabeth in 1615, Argoll in 1617, and Francis in 1620.  

In 1616, George Yeardley was designated Deputy-Governor of Virginia. He negotiated an agreement with the Chickahominy Indians that secured food and brought peace to the colonists for two years. His term ended in 1617.

The couple traveled to England, where George was knighted at Newmarket in November 1618. Six days later he was commissioned Governor of Virginia. He was granted 300 acres of land to help defer the cost of maintaining himself as governor.

Temperance returned to Jamestown with her husband, Sir George Yeardley, Governor of Virginia. He also owned a private plantation of 1000 acres on the south side of the James River, which he named Flowerdew Hundred, in honor of his wife, Lady Yeardley. With a population of about thirty, the plantation was economically successful with thousands of pounds of tobacco produced along with corn, fish, and livestock.

1622

Flowerdew Hundred

Original House In Virginia

The plantation survived the Indian massacre of 1622 with only six deaths, remaining an active and fortified private plantation unlike many others in the area, such as the Citie of Henricus and Martin's Hundred, that were abandoned. The first windmill erected in English North America was built at Flowerdew Hundred by 1621, and was an English post mill.
In 1624, Abraham Piersey, Cape Merchant of the Virginia Company, purchased Flowerdew Hundred renaming it Piersey's Hundred. Piersey's Stone House was the first home with a permanent foundation in the colony. The 1624 Muster lists approximately sixty occupants at the settlement, including some of the first Africans in Virginia.

1725

Flower de Hundred

Details of sale and Name Change in 1725

The plantation changed hands and name over the next two centuries. Joshua Poythress aquired the land and property in 1725 . His grand daughter Susanna married David Maitland (of the Barcaple estate in Dumfries and Galloway Scotland) in Prince George, Virginia in 1788

27 April 2020

Suposition

Fludha in 2001

We can only speculate on the influences over the years, and the colonial accent, which altered the name Flowerdew to Fleur Dieu (result of French influence) Flourdieu, Flor de, Fleur de and finally, in Scotland to "Fludha". 

27 April 1792                        

How the name came back to Scotland

Fludha with Miss Betsy 1870

David Maitland and Susanna Poythress were married in Prince George, Virginia in 1788. Their 2nd daughter, "Elizabeth Agnes Maitland" (who became known as "Betsy") was only 5 or 6 years old when her mother Susanna died at 33 years old, probably after giving birth to her third daughter, "Susanna", in Petersburg. Another daughter "Mary Currie", had died in 1795. One can only speculate on when and why David Maitland brought his two surviving daughter’s home to Barcaple. His father had died in April 1792 and he inherited the estate.

Perhaps he had been back to Barcaple before his father died because a daughter "Penelope Maitland", was born to Margaret Manson, domestic servant at Barcaple, circa 1790. There is no record of her baptism but on her death certificate her father is "reputed" to be David Maitland of Barcaple, although it is not clear whether that would have been the father or the son. Did David the younger get Margaret Manson pregnant and leave for Virginia.

Another story/theory is that the illegitimate offspring of David Maitland posed such a threat to the very religous puritanical and powerful Poythress dynasty in America that a sum of £500 (Equiv to approx £75,000 in todays money) was despatched here for the benefit of Miss Betsy with the condition that she could never marry and thus would be unable to claim for any further American inheritance. It could have been this money that was used to buy and have Fludha built/converted into the fine castellated house we see today which still has several clues in its architecture to its Plantation ancestry!!



16 May 1804

Local Marriage

Miss Betsy at Fludha in 1840

After returning to Barcaple in Kirkudbrightshire, David married Grace Gordon of Cambleton, at Twynholm and in 1807 his only son Alexander was born. None of children married.  David died in 1838 and Miss Betsy and her stepmother Grace Gordon, were listed as living at Fludha in the 1841 census.  Miss Betsy sold Barcaple to one of her Maitland cousins in 1848 and continued to live here in her house on a hill facing south over a bend in the river which, no doubt remembering her American roots she had named Fludha, after the original home of her American grandparents, a house also situated on a hill facing south over a bend in the river.


 2005

And Finally

Fludha in 2000

Sadly Fludha was split into two apartments in the 1960 and lost some or all of its glamour

2006-2008

Conversion

Working to convert Fludha

During 2006/7/8 Christine and Stephen Laycock strove to give Fludha back some of its original elegance whilst at the same time updating, remodelling and extending the property to convert it into the 5 Star residence / Guest House it is today

2020

And Finally

Fludha in 2020

And so, a name that left England in 1620 and whch graced a plantation in Virginia for hundreds of years then came back to Scotland in the nineteenth century could once again be restored to a house that had forgottoen its name! But, to be honest, Fludha sounds much more intriguing - it really does have a rich history!

Contact us

Tel  01557 331443

Email stay@fludha.com

Follow Us

Facebook